Thursday, April 21, 2011

I have been packing infants'/babies' clothes for almost 3 days now.

First 2 days, my raging maternal instincts (damn those cutesy tiny little outfits!!!) were doomed to shrivel and die alone within me because I had no one to share it with :(

But today was different.

My boss (female) and her colleague (also female) came down to help me pack the clothes, and the subsequent conversations that developed were...quite amusing!

Boss: Oh my goodness!!! Look at this!! (points to cutesy tiny outfit #1) Eh, you faster give birth to another baby leh! So can buy this.
Female colleague: You mad ah! Another baby...whaaaa. Cannot!!
Boss: Eh dear there's something called Epidural ma!

Hahahaha. Okay maybe it isn't as amusing as I thought it should be.

On a random note, I find it highly disturbing to see a "KEEP AWAY FROM FIRE" label on a newborn's shirt. o.O

Anyway, I was watching the news yesterday about an animal activist group saving about 500 dogs from being slaughtered as food in China. Apparently it raised quite a commotion regarding the consumption of dog meat.

Then it got me thinking...humans eat pork, chicken, seafood, beef, lamb, veal, venison (deer meat), and most people (excluding vegetarians) think it's alright to do so. So, why be outraged at the consumption of dog meat then? It's just another meat, no?

People wouldn't think twice about consuming poultry or seafood because these animals were mass-reared/hunted FOR consumption. It's almost like.. "I would consume chicken meat cause after all, the chickens were reared with the sole purpose of killing it for food anyway. But I wouldn't eat dog meat, cause their main purpose is to be a domestic pet."

It got me thinking.. If dogs (or any other animal) were to be mass-reared for consumption, would people still be as fervent in protecting them as before?

I'm not saying we should all start setting up dog-farms and eat dog meat, cause it would be unnecessary to go out of your way to legalise the consumption of another animal.

But it's just a..food for thought? (no pun intended)

No comments:

Post a Comment